A Guide to, Black Children Abroad, How to, How to Move Abroad

The Essential Guide for a Single Mom Abroad – Getting your Child a Passport

So you are a single mom who wants to move abroad? Thanks for stopping by my blog. I’m a single mother abroad. I’ve been exactly where you are and I’m going to give you practical tips and advice. Many of you are looking to get a passport for your child.

Getting a passport for your minor child doesn’t have to be hard. It may be tedious, but don’t give up. You may have gotten the passport application for minors only to discover that in order to get a passport for your child that the other biological parent needs to sign the form as well.

And you’re like,

“Oh shit! What do I do?”

It could be that you haven’t seen the other parent in years or that the other parent either refuses to sign or is just unavailable.

Single Mom Abroad: Getting a Passport for Your Child as A Single Mom Abroad

Well, your girl Jackie O. (ME) is an original “OG” black digital nomad and globetrotting Mama and single mom abroad. I have some advice for you on getting a passport for your child below:

Also, check out my podcast with former judge and attorney, Yolanda Trotman where we talk about some of the legal issues and considerations for single moms abroad in getting your child a passport, and or moving abroad.

I also have several other posts for single moms abroad, which I am going to link below, but know that there are options, and again, never give up. It’s all about mindset.

So, let’s do this. Let’s get a passport for your child.

(1) My child’s other parent is deceased.

You will need a copy of the death certificate. There is a note that you can put on the passport application, indicating that the parent is deceased.

(2) My child’s other parent is unable to appear in person.

Now, let’s say the other pan is unable to appear in person. There is a form called a DS-3053, that must be completed by that parent. It needs to be notarized and the parent must the parent who will not appear must photocopy the front and back of their ID. The ID should be a state or federal identification.

(3) I’m unable to locate my child’s other parent.

Now let’s also say you are unable to locate that other parent. Hey, it happens. There is another form that you can fill out for that and that form is called the DS-5525. You must detail what the family circumstances are and prove that you have at least attempted to locate that other parent, and you just haven’t been able to do it. Okay.

(4) My child’s other parent REFUSES to sign the paperwork.

And then of course there’s the last scenario, or the other parent, just as being an asshole for whatever reason, and they just refuse to sign the passport application.

Now there are a few things before you get like all legal and guys know that I’m a former attorney. BUT This post is not providing legal advice, it is just providing you a landscape and ideas of things that you can do if you want to get your child a passport application.

I’ve been doing this thing solo for a good minute, or maybe you haven’t maybe you do have a very good co-parenting relationship and in that case you’re extremely lucky.

(a) Have a healthy conversation and present a good argument supported by facts and details.

And maybe you can just sit down and have a conversation detail where you’re going just talk.

If someone is reasonable and rational and adult enough have that conversation, particularly if you want to move abroad with your child.

Make sure you have a plan so that that child can maintain a relationship with the other parent if that relationship exists. It is important that every child have a right to at least know and be connected to their other parent. If that other parent is ready and able to be involved in that child’s life, come up with a detailed plan.

(b) Seek out Mediation

Another option is to go to mediation. Say you don’t have a good parenting relationship, then try mediation.

And so, perhaps you can do some mediation and counseling and work on a plan to get agreement around either

-moving abroad,

-living abroad part time or

just getting your child a passport so that you can go on a trip to Jamaica or Japan or wherever you’re trying to go with your beautiful child or children.

(c) And then finally, girl, sometimes you just got to lawyer up , so lawyer up and get an attorney and actually go to court.

Going to Court

You can go to court and the court can require that the parents on the other point form.

The court can order you permission to have sole custody both physical and legal custody of that child. In the alternative, the court can grant you permission to obtain and maintain a passport for that child so you have options.

If you have to go to court, you have to go to court, but don’t be intimidated by the process.

white and pink flowers beside a canister
Photo by Ylanite Koppens on Pexels.com

Get yourself an attorney. If you can’t afford an attorney, then make sure you at least do a consultation with an attorney so that you know what the burden of proof, The burden of proof is what is required in order for you to have a successful or relatively successful outcome in court. Educate yourself. Knowledge is key.

I truly hope this is helpful, moving abroad traveling abroad with a child is just such a wonderful and fantastic experience. I highly highly encourage each and every one of you to go for it.

black and white laptop
Photo by Prateek Katyal on Pexels.com

Positive Mindset

And even if you run into hiccups and you run into issues especially with the other parent, don’t give up. Maintain a positive mindset. Mindset is everything when you live abroad and mindset is everything, even when you’re living in your home country so be optimistic. Know that you can do it, it may not be the exact way you intended to do it, but you can work out something. I am here rooting for you and cheering you on.